0zero7

Monday, November 1, 2010

Avant Garde Parent of the Week: Julie







Happy day after Halloween! I hope everyone had a safe, spooky, and candy filled day/night/weekend! What did your kiddos dress as? What did you dress as?

Did you know that Avant Garde Parenting was the Saturday Spotlight over at Just Another Mom of 2 this weekend?! Go check it out here!

I’m so excited to feature Julie of 3 Moms in One as this week’s Avant Garde Parent of the Week. Julie describes herself as always striving to be the perfect mommy, the happy mommy, and the working mommy. But you know what? Julie is WAY more than three types of mom. She’s also funny mom, creative mom, loving mom, always looking out for her sweet girl mom- the list could go on forever. Okay, I’ll let Julie tell you about herself!

Tell us about you. 
I am Julie. Mommy first, with everything else fighting for glorious second place. I was a lifelong over-achiever until a nine-pound bundle of joy threw me into a tailspin 2-1/2 years ago. Who was this little person? And who was I to protect her, teach her, and care for her? I knew nothing about babies. I didn't even babysit as a teenager. This kid took her power position in the world immediately. I am the mommy of a 32-pound diva.

I am married to my super smart, kind-hearted, cute best friend. We married in January 2003. He works his booty off at his job while I work my booty off at home. I work part-time in advertising/media. I work mostly from home, somehow typing one-handed emails while rolling out Play-Doh snakes with the other. Polishing PowerPoint presentations while fulfilling urgent snack requests. Thank goodness video phone never really took off, or I'd have to dress a lot better during "office" hours.

Hobbies?
Blogging is my hobby. It sometimes feels like a job, but I do enjoy it. I like pulling my thoughts & feelings out of my head and placing them on my blog. I like having a virtual escape from my life. I like being able to say whatever I want to say. I like having something that is mine - ALL mine. 

Do you dance in the car?
My car speakers are almost always playing kiddie tunes. Little People are a favorite. Not so easy to dance to, perhaps, but I can do a mean hand-clapping, foot-stomping "Happy & You Know It" - while driving! And my "Itsy Bitsy Spider"? World class.

Tell us about your child.
Did I say diva? She knows what she wants and she wants it now. But she's also hilarious. She has an artistic streak, loves music and dancing, and can captivate half of a restaurant by standing up in the booth and shaking her stuff. She can frustrate me to the point of breakdown, but can wipe it all away instantly with a witty comment or a sweet hug. She has a lot of love to give. She just happens to have a ton of opinions to dish out too.

What surprised you most about parenting?
I knew from the start that I had zero baby/child experience on which to lean. But I had no idea how hard it was going to be! I had no idea what a toll it would take on my self-confidence. I still don't always believe that I'm doing a good job. But I am doing my best. She's learning, she's fed, she's healthy, she's happy. What more can we ask for?

What one tip would you give other parents or parents-to-be?
Those "rules"? Really just guidelines. Just because the parenting book says one thing, doesn't mean it'll apply to your kid. Or work with your style of parenting. All kids are different and you have to learn and adapt along the way. Friends and family (sometimes even strangers) will try to tell you how they did it, but sometimes their way is just not possible in your life. And that is okay.  

How have you had to be Avant Garde as a parent?
See above. I've finally learned that I'm allowed to figure it out my way. It seems that my daughter never responds like the books say she will. She has an iron will and some serious determination. So we adapt.

If you would like to be featured as an Avant Garde Parent of the Week or have someone you would like to nominate, please email me at deluna.jamie@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Parenting | Singleparent Blog. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree