0zero7

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Parent of the Week: Becky

This week's Parent of the Week, Becky, is not just an amazing mom but also a business owner! She makes these nifty seat covers that fit right over your dining chairs. They're waterproof, machine washable, and super cute. Check them out- but first, check out her Parent of the Week post!


As always, if you'd like to be a Parent of the Week or would like to nominate someone, email me at deluna.jamie@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you!


---------------


Tell me a little about you- Who are you? What do you do? Hobbies? Do you dance in the car?

My name is Becky and I am a mother, wife, and, most recently, entrepreneur.  Now that my boys are both in school full time, I spend my days running my business and squeezing in some me-time when I can.  I love to work out and have become devoted to Pilates.  I also enjoy crossword puzzles, reading, and connecting with friends.

Tell me about your children.
I have two amazing boys, ages 6 and 8, who couldn’t be more different.  My oldest son has dark hair and dark brown eyes. He is tall and skinny, has an intense personality, and could play soccer every day.  His brother, in contrast, is fair with light hair and light eyes.  He is built like a line backer, has a sunny, light disposition, and excels in martial arts.  My mother-in-law, who is from South Africa, says that they are like chalk and cheese! 

What surprised you most about parenting?
How little control I actually have over who my children are!  It seems as though their personalities have been set in stone since they were born, and maybe even in utero.   My oldest is persistent, insatiably curious about the world around him, and active as can be.   When I was pregnant, he was so active that my stomach would literally move inches from his somersaults. His first words were “there” said with his finger and arm stretched out and “down” as he tried to jump head first out of my arms.   Now at 8, my oldest is an avid reader and learner, keeping his head buried in a book or persistently asking “why,” except of course when he is burning off his incredible energy.   My younger son is incredibly imaginative and generally happy and amiable.  Even as a baby, he was content to sit in the stroller or grocery cart and wave at the people passing by, saying, “hi” and “thank you” to anyone who would listen or give him a smile.  He lives in a world where superheroes save the day and everyday objects can become whatever you want – the only limit is his imagination, which appears to be endless. At 6 and in school full day, he is the mayor of the town; he knows everyone by name and is known by everyone too! 


How have you had to be Avant Garde as a parent?
I don’t know if I’ve been Avant Garde in my parenting, but I do think that I’ve been true to my boys’ personalities in the way that I parent them and that our lives are richer as a result.  My older son needs flexibility, choices, and a lot of room to run. He loves to challenge the rules and think outside of the box.  Too much rigidity doesn’t work for him and I’ve learned to pick my battles, offer him choices so that he has some control over his situation, and give him as many opportunities to run as possible.  And when given room to explore and question, my 8 year old comes up with clever ideas and solutions to problems that I never would have come up with on my own.  My younger son does better with rules, clear guidelines, and -- because he is so social and outgoing -- lots and lots of play dates.  When he understands what is expected of him and has had a chance to socialize with friends, my 6 year old bubbles over with entertaining stories that he is happy to share with me on our car rides and while cuddling before bed.  Parenting to their personalities instead of using a one-size-fits-all approach has really brought out the best in my boys. 

Becky and Past Parents of the Week: Feel free to grab the Parent of the Week Badge:





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Parenting | Singleparent Blog. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree