0zero7

Monday, October 25, 2010

Avant Garde Parent of the Week: Jill

Meet Jill, momma to super duper cute Eli. Not only is Jill a mom and a wife, but she also runs a crazy amazing photography business- Jill Brannon Photography. Read on as she describes how she stays one step ahead of her precious ball of energy by being prepared and proactive- two tips any mom can benefit from!

Tell me a little about you- Who are you? What do you do? Hobbies? Do you dance in the car?
My name is Jill Brannon, and I married my college sweetheart Brad. Together we have one precious little boy named, Eli who is three years old. I stay at home with Eli and I also have a photography business that I do on the side. I am obsessed with taking pictures and enjoy the art of editing them. I refrain from dancing in the car because I'm pretty bad, but Eli & I often sing at the top of our lungs. His favorite cd right now is Veggie Tales and he likes a few Lady Antebellum songs (the ones that are appropriate!)

What surprised you most about parenting?
I think the thing that has most surprised me about parenting is the overwhelming desire to be good at being a parent. I want to be consistent in disciplining without being too demanding or having too high of expectations for a three year old. I want to teach him to have manners and have learned that it's best to do that by being polite yourself. I feel like there can be a lot of pressure to be the perfect parent, but I don't believe we are called to do that. Parenting has been the hardest thing I have done, but it keeps me humble and on my knees in prayer.

What one tip would you give other parents or parents-to-be?
If I had one tip for parents-to-be, it would be to do your best to be prepared. One day I had to go to the Social Security office. I knew it may take hours, and I had no other choice but to bring Eli with me. I prepared Eli on what would be expected while we were there: he had to stay in his stroller and he could watch a show on my phone. I brought snacks, a couple of books, and he was set. It's not always possible to be prepared, but if you know ahead of time that you can prepare your child for what's ahead, it's less likely that he will have a meltdown out of boredom.

How have you had to be 'Avant Garde' or innovative as a parent?
Once I realized the need for little boys to run off their energy, the better parent I became! Eli and I make it a point every single day to do some kind of activity that requires running. If we are outside, we play ball, chase, hide and go seek, or have races. If the weather does not permit, then we run up and down the hall over and over again. He can't help that he has so much energy. He's three and he's a boy...sitting quietly and coloring only lasts so long. So, once I realized he is so much better behaved when he's had an hour or two (or more) of fresh air, it's amazing the difference it makes in his attitude (and mine as well). Every day we learn something new about one another, and that's what makes parenting fun!

If you would like to be featured as an Avant Garde Parent of the Week or have someone you would like to nominate, please email me at deluna.jamie@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you!  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Parenting | Singleparent Blog. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree